Monday, July 26, 2010

Anything you can do, I can do better.....Rated PG13 for L

Have you ever seen someone do something and thought "I could do that better!"? Normally it is completely ridiculous stuff for me. Like when I am watching football and the receiver misses or drops a pass, I yell at the TV "I could have caught that you idiot!" when in reality, I definitely could not have. Can you imagine me with full pads on trying to catch a football in the NFL? Ha ha it would be fun to see, but VERY unlikely :)
Sometimes I KNOW I can do better. Espescially when it comes to customer service. Nothing pisses me off more than a waiter, or cashier, or phone rep who is rude or obnoxious. Your job is to smile and be friendly and help people so that they want to give you a good tip and come back to your place of business. I don't care if you're having problems at home or having a bad day. I was always taught to leave your problems at home. Besides, if you fake smile enough they evenually turn into real smiles and are contagious. You will have a better day just from pretending you are in a good mood.
One thing that really amazes me, is the difference in customer service in different geographic locations. In Germany, it isn't customary to leave a tip, because it is included in your check, and waiters/waitresses were always trying really hard to do a good job. They even smiled and worked through the language barriers.
We live on the East Coast and let me tell you.....I could choke the assholes in customer service here! The other night we went out to eat and our waiter didn't check on our drinks, didn't smile, took forever with our check and then was nice at the end, thinking he would get a better tip that way. Not to mention 3 other people brought our food out at different times.....Then there was the incident on Saturday night. It was about 2 am, and we were hungry so we stopped at McDonalds. This McDonalds wasn't serving breakfast until 3 and wouldn't serve the dollar menu that late. We thought that sucked but we ordered meals because we were still hungry. I ordered nuggets and ranch dipping sauce. They didn't bother to tell us they were out of ranch. Then as we were pulling out of the drive thru, I realized there was no ranch in our bag. Chris got out of the car and went and asked them for ranch and they said they were out. Chris basically asked him why they didn't tell us that when we ordered and the guy got pissed. Chris and the drive thru guy started yelling at each other and then as Chris was walking away the guy came to the door and was trying to get Chris to fight him, but he was trying to get Chris to come inside so that HE wouldn't get in trouble. Chris knew better so he tried to get the guy to come outside and the guy opened the door with a KNIFE in his hand.....Chris was going to kick his ass anyway, but then 2 cop cars pulled up. Chris decided he would just tell the cop what happened, assuming he would take care of it since there was a weapon involved, but NO the flippin cop was too damn HUNGRY to do anything, so we left. Those incidents happened in ONE weekend!!!
Those are just recent experiences, there have been so many times that we have just left a restauraunt because the service is so bad. The West Coast, even just the West side of the country is sooooooo much better. Really. It is a difference of night and day! We just recently took a trip to Vegas and Idaho and in both of those places, and in between, we only had one bad experience in 2 weeks! I am not even kidding, we didn't even know how to react! Chris even turned to me one day, while we were going through a drive thru in Idaho, and asked me why they weren't being rude. I reassured him it was a good thing, and that it was because of our location. Ha ha. The only place in Idaho that was TERRIBLE was Elmers. Never going back there again!
So basically, if you work in cutomer service in Idaho, Utah, or Nevada, you are doing a great job! Keep it up! If you work in customer service on the East Coast, put a damn smile on your face and be nice to people!!! You will be amazed at how your day can change by just being nice!

Take care everyone and try and get through your Monday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment